Thursday, August 26, 2010

Summer Playing

Well, August seems to have shot by in a blur of busy-ness. I can't believe it is almost two weeks since the Three Choirs Festival in Gloucester - I was showing work in an exhibition (which you can read about over on Gallimaufry) and singing in the choir for Jazz Psalm Sunday in the cathedral. Quick plug here- the BBC recorded the concert and it is apparently going to be broadcast on Radio Gloucestershire on Bank Holiday Monday and after that will be available on BBC i-player Update - 2pm on Monday 30th 107.40FM or online at BBC.co.uk. It is a wonderful mix of gospel and jazz with a large choir and fantastic musicians - highly recommended. End of plug.

So, you know how it is after you have worked really hard for an event and when it is over you feel a bit flat. I thought I would liven myself up by showing you some things I have been playing with in between acting as chauffeur for the kids.

First up, lots of printing on fabric to practice the layering techniques learnt with Ruth Issett at the Distant Stitch summer school. No particular plans for these at the moment, just lots of samples.

Using stitch as a resist. The one on the left was an impression of the one on the right (put the fabric on top and rolled over).

Layers of textile paint and a thermofax screen.



This sample was folded, stitched and painted several times - you can see the stages although they seem not to be in the right order.






Added monoprints.

Tried a fish stencil - not sure I like it!



A little piece made into a card.

I keep thinking I need to improve my control on my free machining, so I have tried working some patterns from Leah Day's blog http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/ - she posts videos to show how they are done. I have been practicing on 4" squares round the edge of a quilt sandwich that was a sample for my fish quilt. Not brilliant but getting better.

No comments: